Sourdough FAQ Recipes
Amish Friendship Bread
# From: Henry (H.W.) Troup

Here's my version of the recipe, received with a starter that has so
much sugar it seems to be all yeast and  no bacteria; my starter is
still going after two years in my care.  I'd be will to try to dry it
if anyone wants.

Starter care instructions omitted...

"Amish Friendship Bread"

        1 cup starter
        2/3 cup oil
        1 cup sugar
        3 eggs
        1 tsp vanilla
        2 cups flour
        1 tsp cinnamon
        1 1/2 tsp baking powder
        1/2 tsp baking soda
        1/2 tsp salt

Mix listed ingredients -- I'd sift the dry ingredients together first,
but the original sheet doesn't say to.

You may top with candied fruit, nuts, or apple slices before baking.
Pour into 2 well greased sugared loaf pans.  Bake 40 to 50 minutes at
350 degrees.  Cool ten minutes before removing from pan.

  Henry Troup - HWT@BNR.CA (Canada) - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
!erutangis ruoy otni suriv erutangis siht ypoc ot nevird ylsuoicsnocbus era uoY

From: a.m.osborne@mvuxd.att.com

Dave,
I've kept most/all of the sourdough recipes posted to both
the net and the sourdough/bread machine groups.  However,
they are on UNIX, so I've got macros included in the files.
I've culled the Amish starter recipes from my file and taken
out the macros and formatted them for readability.  I take
no responsibility on how the recipes turn out, I've not
tried any of them.  But.....here they are.
Arlene

 1000.1 --                                                            -- 1000.1

                      AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD STARTER
          John D. Holder, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque

       I have made friendship bread several times with a gift
       starter, and I have a pretty good guess as to how to make
       one.  This is slightly different than most sourdough-type
       starters.  I would either dissolve one package of dry active
       yeast in a half cup of warm water or milk.  If you use
       water, add one cup milk, one cup flour, and one cup of
       granulated sugar.  If you use milk, add one half cup milk,
       one cup flour, and one cup of granulated sugar.  Set in a
       warmish place, like near the stove, and stir once daily for
       5-10 days.  This makes about 3 cups of starter.  Most
       recipes for friendship bread that I've seen  call for one
       cup of starter to start out with, so as tradition dictates I
       would keep a cup of starter for myself and give the other
       two cups to two friends with the recipe.

               AMISH FRIENDSHIP SOURDOUGH (MUFFIN) STARTER
           Henry Troup, Bell Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada

       Original Instructions:

          o Keep only in a ceramic bowl, covered.

          o Never refrigerate.

          o Stir daily.

          o Feed every five days with 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and
            1 cup milk.

       Split into four, bake one part, keep one part, and give two
       to friends.

       A quick calculation indicates that in 160 days (32
       replications) every person on the planet will have some
       muffin starter.  And it will take a lot of flour to feed all
       of those.

                           RELAXED INSTRUCTIONS

          o Keep in a covered bowl.  I transfer it to a clean bowl
            every month or so, usually when I'm baking.  Mine sits
            on top of the microwave

          o Refrigeration will slow down the starter, usually a
            good idea.  Freezing for over a month will kill it.  I
            refrigerate the starter when I go away for more than a
            weekend.

          o Stir daily.

          o When it looks thin and watery, or smells of alcohol, or
            you want to bake with it, feed with: 1/2 cup flour, 1/2
            cup sugar and 1/2 cup milk.

       It's okay to feed it and not bake immediately, but it really
       should be split between every two feedings.  The objective
       is to keep the yeast in the starter reproducing, as opposed
       to fermenting.

                         "AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD"
           Henry Troup, Bell Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada

       1 cup starter         2/3 cup oil    1 cup sugar      3 eggs
       1 tsp vanilla         2 cups flour   1 tsp cinnamon
       1 1/2 tsps baking powder       1/2 tsp baking soda   1/2 tsp salt

       Mix listed ingredients -- I'd sift the dry ingredients
       together first, but the original sheet doesn't say to.  You
       may top with candied fruit, nuts, or apple slices before
       baking.  Pour into 2 well greased sugared loaf pans.  Bake
       40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees F.  Cool ten minutes before
       removing from pan.

                         FRIENDSHIP BREAD STARTER
                               Gary Heston

       1 cup flour   1 cup milk   1/4 tsp salt   1 friend with starter

       Proceedure: take flour, milk and salt to visit friend with
       starter.  Add each to friends' starter, mixing well. Divide
       starter in half, returning one part to friend, and taking
       other half home with you.  Place your part in your starter
       bowl. You now have a Friendship Bread Starter.

                AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD (10 day Sour Dough)
                                Serap Ogut

       Cover the starter, set on the counter, DO NOT REFRIGERATE.

       Day 1-4  : stir everyday
       Day 5    : add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk
       Day 6-7  : stir
       Day 8-9  : do nothing
       Day 10   : add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk

       Pour 1 cup starter mix in three cups, to give away.

                         To the remaining mixture add
       2/3 cup oil                 1 cup sugar           2 cups flour
       1 1/2 tsps baking powder    1/4 tsp salt          1/2 tsp vanilla
       3 eggs                      1/2 tsp baking soda   2 tsps cinnamon
       Raisins & nuts (optional)

       Beat batter and pour into 2 well greased bread pans.  Bake
       for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

                   AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD INSTRUCTIONS
                                 Jeannie

       Keep at room temperature Use a glass container.  Do not use
       a metal spoon (use a wooden one) Do not refrigerate. Use
       only plain (non-rising) flour.

       Day  1  The day you get your starter, do nothing
       Day  2  Stir with a wooden spoon
       Day  3  Stir with a wooden spoon
       Day  4  Stir with a wooden spoon
       Day  5  Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and stir
       Day  6  Stir with a wooden spoon
       Day  7  Stir with a wooden spoon
       Day  8  Stir with a wooden spoon
       Day  9  Stir with a wooden spoon
       Day  10  Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and stir.

       Get three glass containers and put one cup of mixture in
       each container,  Give a copy of these instructions and a cup
       of starter to 3 friends.  To remaining batch add 2/3 cup
       oil, 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp
       cinnamon, 1 and 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda,
       and 1/2 tsp salt.  Pour into 2 well greased and sugared loaf
       pans, or 1 bundt pan. Top with anything you like such as,
       sliced apples, dried or candied fruit, nuts, coconut, etc.
       or leave plain  Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.
       (Check after 30 minutes.)  COOL 10 MINUTES BEFORE REMOVING
       FROM PAN.  Slice and serve.

             AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD (Original Starter Recipe)
                       Linda DiSanto, Austin, Texas

       1 package active dry yeast   2 1/2 cups warm water   2 cups sifted flour
       1 Tbsp sugar

       Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water in a deep glass
       or plastic container.  Stir in remaining warm water, flour
       and sugar.  Beat until smooth.  Cover with loose fitting
       cover. DO NOT REFRIGERATE!  The starter requires 10 days for
       fermentation as follows:

       DAYS 1, 2, 3 and 4:     Stir batter
       DAY 5:                  Add 1 cup each milk, flour, sugar and stir
       DAYS 6, 7, and 8:       Stir batter each day
       DAY  10:                Add 1 cup each flour, sugar, milk; stir.

       The batter is ready to use.

       This makes 3 cups batter to use in the recipes. If you want
       to you may pout 1 cup batter each into 3 containers and give
       1 or 2 away.

       Save 1 cup to begin process all over again OR you can use
       all 3 cups batter for the recipes at 1 time and when you
       want to bake these again just start the starter again.

       OR use the other cup of batter to make the bread or cake.

                          AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD
                               Cindy Smith

       My sister-in-law gave me this recipe for Amish Friendship
       Bread along with a jar-full of the starter mix.  Do not use
       metal spoon and Do not refrigerate dough!!

       day 1 -- Receive starter and do nothing
       day 2 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
       day 3 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
       day 4 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
       day 5 -- Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and stir
       day 6 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
       day 7 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
       day 8 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
       day 9 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
       day 10 - Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and stir.
                pour into containers of 1 cup each and give to 3 friends
                with copy of recipe (or 2 friends and keep 1 start for yourself)

       To the remainder add:

       2/3 cup oil  1 1/4 tsps baking powder  3 eggs    1/2 tsp baking soda
       2 cups flour      1/2 tsp salt         1 cup sugar  2 tsps vanilla
       2 tsps cinnamon

       Pour into 2 well greased and sugared loaf pans.  Bake 40 to
       50 minutes at 350 degrees F.  Cool 10 minutes before
       removing from pan.  The bread may be frozen for a later date
       (note the starter).

From: mats@netcom.com (Mats Wichmann)

Well, heck, here's the recipe for Amish loaf that passed through here a
little over a year ago.  Don't have the culture, though - didn't thik
much of it, so didn't make any effort to keep it alive after passing it
on.  If "everybody" has seen this, it might be interesting to see if
the recipe differs amongst those who had it passed to them...after
all, stories always seem to mutate when passed from person to person...
do recipes also, or are they scrupulously preserved?

Amish Friendship Loaf

        Day 1   The first day with the starter do nothing
        Day 2   Stir
        Day 3   Stir
        Day 4   Stir
        Day 5   Add: 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar; stir well
        Day 6   Stir
        Day 7   Stir
        Day 8   Stir
        Day 9   Stir
        Day 10  Add: 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar; stir well

DO NOT use metal spoon, bowl, or pan

DO NOT refrigerate

Batter will expand, so should be placed in a larger bowl or container on receipt

On Day 10 - pour 1 cup batter into each of three containers and give to three
            friends, with a copy of these instructions

The remaining batter will be a little more than a 1 cup.
Add 2/3 cup oil, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/4 tsp baking powder,
3 eggs, 1/2 tsp each of: salt, cinnamon, vanilla or baking soda.
Pour into two well greased loaf pans.

Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans.

 --
Mats Wichmann
Systems Software Consultant

From: JERRY PELIKAN
Subject:      Amish Friendship Bread

The recipe that I got with my Amish Friendship bread goes like this:

No metal spoons or bowls!  Do not refrigerate!

Day 1:  do nothing
Day 2,3,4:  stir
Day 5:  Add: 1 cup flour
             1 cup sugar
             1 cup milk
        Stir
Day 6,7,8,9:  stir
Day 10: Add: 1 cup flour
             1 cup sugar
             1 cup milk
        Stir

Pour one cup of batter into each of 2 containers and give to two freinds.

To remaining batter, add:

      2/3 cup oil                 1/2 t    baking soda
      3       eggs                1 1/2 t  baking powder
      1 cup   sugar               1 t      cinnamon
      2 cups  flour               1/2 t    salt
                                  1 t      vanilla
Add two cups of fruit or nuts.  Pour into two greased and floured
loaf pans.  Bake 45 - 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cool 10 minutes & remove.

# From: monwel@cbnewsk.cb.att.com (douglas.w.monroe)

Amish Frienship Bread:

        1-1 1/2C starter dough
        2/3C sugar
        2t cinnamon (or 1t cinnamon, 1/4tallspice,& 1/2t nutmeg)
        1 1/4t baking powder
        2C flour
        1/2t salt
        1/2t baking soda
        3 eggs
        (*1 1/2 cups chopped nuts, apples, raisins, etc. optional)

Mix together with whisk all dry ingredients. Add remaining
ingredients and mix well. Add nuts or fruit and blend well. Grease
& sugar 2 loaf pans or 1 tube pan. Bake 350\(de