|With both tests, I reduced the amounts by
1/2 so I won't waste 4 lbs of flour per test
run. Water adjustments I made after doing
the flour moisture test (n. window).
With the full grain flour test, I had to
fudge the parameters since the tests (n. window) were only for finer flours, so I was out
of range and for a full grain flour test,
I did not have the equipment, like for volume
measurement and it would have been overkill
anyway for what my intentions are right now.
I did not know the ash content
of this flour
but I guessed, it would be around
2 %, so
I used more water and lactc acid
the tables of the original baking test (n. window) - 800 ml * 1/2 = 400 ml and lactic acid,
I used 14 ml * 1/2 = 7 ml.
The steam issue I solved by having 2 bowls
of water right on top of the heating coils
right behind the door towards the front.
By the time the oven was preheated, the water
was on a rolling boil and created a lot of
steam. After the bread was in for a minute
or two, I took the bowls out.
A real eye opener was - and this is not visible
on the pictures - the difference in dough
behavior with the full grain flour when acid
was used. The dough without acid was all
over the place, just letting the gas out
and loosing shape whereas the LA dough kept
Also, the hydrations I used were 70 % for
the light rye and 80 % for the full grain
- without compensation for lower moisture.
With compensation, it was 78 % and 88 %.
A new experience to go that high.